Monday, November 5, 2012

Week 7 - Social Networking with Facebook and Twitter

You can't go anywhere online without seeing logos and links asking you to "follow me on Facebook and Twitter". Social networking sites have impacted the way we connect with friends, family, businesses, parents and students.
Using social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter in education is definitely a "hot button" topic. As most of you know, last year Missouri tried to establish a law to regulate how teachers and students would be able to interact on these types of sites. Like many online tools, Facebook and Twitter in education have their pros and cons. Your tasks for week 7 ask you to look at these two sites and consider how they could (or if they should) be used in an educational setting.
Note: Some of these resources will not be able to be viewed at school since Facebook is blocked at school. (Think about why it is blocked at most schools.) You will need to view them when you are at home or at a public Internet access area like a local library.
Thing 16 - Explore the use of Facebook in education
Read the following articles on using Facebook in Education. Think of how or why you might use Facebook in your job (or even your personal life). Be sure to consider any disadvantages to using this site.
Our school district does have a Facebook page, as do many school groups and activities. If you want to have an official school Facebook page, you have to add Becky Hartzell and Jeremy Lampe as administrators of your page to help monitor any unwanted activity on your page. Here are some examples of Facebook pages being used in our district:
If you don't have a Facebook page, you might consider signing up for one and exploring the possibilities. This is definitely an optional activity.
Thing 17 - Explore the use of Twitter in education
Watch the following videos and look at the sites about using Twitter in education. Again, think of how or why you might use Twitter in your job (or even your personal life). Be sure to consider any disadvantages to using this site.
  • Why Teachers Should Try Twitter - an article that states some reasons why a teacher might want to use Twitter
  • Twitter4Teachers - a database of teachers who you can follow on Twitter (if you have a Twitter account, you might follow some teachers with similar interests)
  • Check out how Branson High School uses Twitter on its website.
If you do not have a Twitter account, consider signing up for one and giving it a try for a couple of weeks to see if you find it useful. This is also an optional task.
Reflection task: 
Comment on this post and share your thoughts about Facebook and Twitter in education. Be sure to consider the pros and cons to using these sites. Make sure you sign your name to your comment.

7 comments:

  1. Facebook first - I personally do not friend my students until they graduate. I started teaching at Branson about the same time that Missouri tried to ban that and personally I just have decided not to friend them. The idea of getting to know another side of my students is great, but at the same time I don't want to have to worry about them posting (or their friends posting) to their wall something I'd rather not see/know about. Waiting until they've graduated allows me to befriend students who have matured a little more and stepped out of the drama of high school. This opinion is not set in stone, but it keeps me from having to worry about these things. If I were to change my mind, I like that facebook allows me to limit what people see. I liked the list feature, so that I could be friends with them, but not have everything I shared or people shared on my wall open to them. The idea of groups or a fan page are also nice, although I think Facebook has started charging "fan pages" a fee to show all of their posts to all of their fans. Otherwise fans only see some of the posts, so that would be a major disadvantage. Really, with the high school's incorporation of Blackboard, it really behaves like a group or fan page would, the only problem being that there are no "push notifications" but I've got Remind101 for that.

    Twitter - Once again, since I use Blackboard and Remind101 I am not using this with my students. However, I love using it for professional development. I've accumulated several people that I follow, some that have to do with Spanish, others that have to do with the AP, others just education in general and so on. Dr. Brenner, out assistant principal is also always sending out tweets from people she follows and I've started following a few more because of that. It is a constant wealth of ideas and information, and you can ask the people you following questions (whether or not they respond is a different story) and access links in tweets easily. I've found blogs through twitter that are now a huge resource of mine. It's definitely grown me more as a teacher.

    Jen Lawson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big fan of incorporating my two worlds of Personal and Professional together. I have my own Facebook and Twitter, but I do not accept parents as my friends until after their child has left my class. It is not because I have anything to hide, but because I don't want my students crossing over into my personal life and coming to school and talking about it. My fourth graders are not legally old enough to have their own (although some do) and so I would have to explain why I couldn't be their friend.
    I agree with Jen that many times, it is challenging to see what kids post and not worry. I am friends with some of my daughter's High school friends in order to stay in the loop and protect her; however, when they post things that are risky I feel obligated to confront them or talk with a parent and so I can see where this would become an issue as a High school teacher also. (Thank goodness I am elementary!)
    I do know teachers that have a Facebook page set up for their classroom, but I feel as though it is just another thing to manage and keep up with. Most parents that would have a Facebook or Twitter already have email communication and I can contact them just as easily without needing another place to check.

    For some this may be a great tool. Call me old fashioned, but I will stick with email and phone calls. :) ~ Nina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since I teach second grade I do not have to worry about my students requesting me on Facebook or Twitter. I do not have a Twitter account. I do have a Facebook account, but I am not on Facebook frequently. I have thought about getting a Facebook page for my class. Their are so many people that have Facebook and I think parents would enjoy seeing pictures of things we are doing in class. It would also be another good form of communication. The reason I haven't is because I don't know if I would be able to keep up with it.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see benefits of using Twitter from a professional side of things. I like that you can locate people based on specific interests, therefore it makes professional development quicker. I guess my question would be about keeping all of those tags organized. In the video I didn't hear either person mention a way to store tags as desired. I don't have time to keep up with another resource that will continue to throw information at me. I can't see managing a twitter account at this time. Although the resources could be beneficial, I'm afraid I would be overwhelmed by it all.

    Concerning Facebook- I have an account that I use for personal connections. I can't see using it any differently than my class Website, which is something that my parents don't even know I have... I can't imagine managing another piece of information feed for parents when they don't use what I send them anyway. I have a class blog, where I post pictures of things we are doing in the classroom. It is easier, I think, because I have to keep my class Website current anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great to hear all of your comments about Facebook and Twitter. I have not been a huge fan of either previously. After viewing the video, I can see how professionally it would be great to locate people with the same interests as me, especially as it pertains to Reading and Intervention.
    Concerning Facebook, my husband and I tend to be very private so we don't either have an account. Lately, however, I can see the benefits of keepiing up with my own grown kids and with a grandchild on the way, updated pictures. So I may reconsider that option but would still limit access because that is my comfort zone. I still prefer the old fashion way of talking personally to people I care about and sending cards. I guess that shows my age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that using Twitter to form a PLN network would be very useful. I know their are other teacher's websites in other states that I enjoy visiting and I am now wondering if they have twitter accounts. I think that it would greatly help with collaboration.
    I have a personal facebook account, but I hardly can check in with it because of time constraints. I do see how it could be helpful, but I am aprehensive because of some past problems I have heard about with parents and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As far as Facebook goes I don't think it is feasible for a 2nd grade teacher to use in any academic way. I love facebook as a way to keep up with people I may not see all the time and I do have some "teacher" friends who live away and I enjoy seeing anything they post about school, but for me FB is more for personal use than professional right now.

    My husband is SO into Twitter and we have talked about getting me set up with a Twitter account. I'm not sure how much I would use it for personal use, but I can see the benefit of establishing a personal learning network. I like the idea of following someone and seeing who they follow, etc. I'm not sure how helpful it would be for getting information since all the messages are limited to just a few characters. I am curious about how useful Twitter could be...I think setting up an account is in my future!

    ReplyDelete